We love the different books based on There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly. Currently, we are having fun with the Halloween version featuring an old lady who swallowed a bat. While I was grocery shopping (convenient timing!), the idea of making a special lunch based on the book popped into my head.
In the book by Lucille Colandro, the old lady swallows a bat, an owl, a cat, a ghost, a goblin, some bones, and a wizard. Here is what I made:
- I used a bat cookie cutter to cut a bat out of bread and then spread Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread on the bat shaped bread. The red eyes are icing.
- The owl is a piece of bread cut into an owl shape with peanut butter, white icing, chocolate chips, and a piece of candy corn on top.
- I do have a cat cookie cutter but decided to just serve cat whiskers (pretzels).
- The ghost was cut out of bread with a cookie cutter and the bread was topped with plain cream cheese and raisin features.
- The goblin is a spinach leaf with raisin eyes and a dried cherry mouth.
- I used my kitchen shears to cut a bone shape out of a marshmallow.
- For the wizard, I cut a star out of a piece of cheese and placed it on a pretzel stick to make a wand.