Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Polar Bear Snack

This is a post I wrote last winter for my other blog.  I have a lot of fun food posts over there and since that blog is now private, I plan on bringing some of those posts to this blog.    


To make the polar bear snacks, I used vanilla ice cream, marshmallows, and Raisinets (the only brown candy I had on hand).  Coconut would make nice "fur", but my kids would never eat it.


R does not care for marshmallows, so I just used whipped cream in place of the marshmallows.  I added a little whipped cream "snow" to both plates.

Here are a few of the polar bear books we enjoy reading:

The Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett - This is a retelling of the fairytale The Three Bears, but it takes place in the Arctic and features an Inuit girl.  We love everything by Jan Brett; her illustrations are simply brilliant.

Polar Bear Night by Lauren Thompson - A polar bear cub wakes in her warm den and sets out on a magical journey through her starlit world.  This is a nice bedtime story with simple text and simple illustrations.   

The Last Polar Bear by Jean Craighead George - The world is warming and the ice is melting, so Tigluk sets out to save the last polar bear.  Obviously, this is a story of the plight of the polar bears threatened by global warming, but it is not at all scientific and does not even use the term "global warming".  We enjoyed the story.

4 comments:

  1. That polar bear is so cute! Jan Brett's illustrations are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm coconut. I'd add coconut for mine for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still trying to figure out if I want to try some themes this year or not. Polar Bears is definitely one that works well for winter months! This snack looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!! I am so glad I came across your blog! I'm always doing art projects along with the kids books, and though I've often thought about snacks that go along, I'm not that good about coming up with them! These are perfect for us right now because we've just spent the week talking about polar bears! And better yet, I think I've already got everything on hand to make them! Thanks for the fabulous idea!!

    ReplyDelete