Thursday, January 26, 2012

Somebunny Loves You



We have been enjoying My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall for a few years now.  It's a fun book any time of year, but we especially like to read it around Valentine's Day.  Each page of the book features a different animal created out of heart shapes with a description about how the narrator's heart is like each animal, for example, the heart is eager as a beaver, steady as a yak, hopeful as a hungry heron fishing for a snack.


Our heart cookie bunny is the perfect snack to go along with this book.  One of the pages in the book has a  rabbit made out of hearts and it was the inspiration for this treat.


To make your own heart bunny, begin with two large heart shaped sugar cookies, one small heart sugar cookie, and a heart shaped marshmallow. 
I found these at Target.  You could always use a regular mini marshmallow.

We iced some of our cookies, but that is optional.


Cut one small heart cookie in half.  These will become the ears, so I like the icing .

Place a large cookie, the marshmallow (tail), and the cut heart (small heart cookie; ears) on a plate as shown.
  
Place the second large heart cookie on top as shown.


I used black gel icing to make the face.  I would have loved to use a heart shaped sprinkle for the nose, but we didn't have any.  I made a tiny upside down heart with the black gel icing.



Linking to:  For the Kids Friday




10 comments:

  1. How cute! Perfect for Valentine's Day!

    Love that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!! You are way to creative with your food ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute snack and a great book to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! We read that book last year and made animals from the book with construction paper. My sister and I had more fun than the kids. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet! The sprinkle would have been perfect - but the gel heart worked too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute. You're so good at matching snacks with stories!!

    Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  7. That snack looks so cute! I really need to get that book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love it! I just put the book on hold at our library! I was actually surprised to find it still available with Valentine's Day coming so soon. Yay for us! Thanks once again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!that snack looks like simply superb.Here I would like to introduce Delights of India,which is a directory for buy Indian snacks.

    ReplyDelete