Thursday, January 12, 2012

Art with Food


We decided to make art and snack at the same time one day after school.  I told the kids that graham crackers could be their canvas,


candy melts could be their paint,


and pretzel sticks and marshmallows could be their paint brushes.


They were only limited by their own imaginations.







Willow is a young girl who has her own idea about what makes good art.  Her art teacher likes things orderly, and does not like things (including art) to be different or out of the ordinary.  Willow refuses to be stifled and in doing so enlightens her teacher.  There are many great lessons in this book.  We love that Willow is true to herself and encourages others to be true to themselves too.

You can find a teacher's guide for use with Willow by clicking here.

Linking to:  






8 comments:

  1. What yummy fun, I love art that you can eat! This sounds like an amazing book, I will have to check the library for it. Thank you for linking up to stART and sharing :)

    ~Michelle @ A Mommy's Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover art alone is enough to make me want to see the rest of the book - it's very visually appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a blog pairing books with snacks. Since most kids LOVE snacks, it's a great motivator. I like that this snack is something the kids get to make. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Willow book! What a fun activity to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How often did the graham crackers break? I have the worst luck with them breaking on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids would LOVE This activity! We've read a different Willow book, but this one is new to us. I'll have to see if I can find a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Willow sounds like a great book. I will add it to my list of books to read. Love the "painting" on food. We did a rainbow toast once, and it was very popular.

    ReplyDelete