Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lots of Dots


Lots of Dots by Craig Frazier is a celebration of dots (or circles) all around us.  Ladybugs, scoops of ice cream, gumballs, and more are showcased in bright colors with simple, rhyming text.  I read this book to my girls (5 years old and 4 months old) and they both enjoyed it.  It's perfect for toddlers and preschoolers - there are many learning opportunities including color recognition, counting, and of course, finding all of the circles.  I plan to revisit this book when the baby is older.

I searched for an m&m cookie recipe to go along with this book, and we were very happy with the one I found.  I think they are the best m&m cookies I have ever had - yum!  Here is the recipe:


Ingredients

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup shortening (I used 2 sticks of unsalted butter instead of shortening)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups candy-coated milk chocolate pieces

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, mix sugar, eggs, shortening, and vanilla thoroughly. Add flour, salt, and baking soda to creamed mixture. Blend well. Add 3/4 cup of M&M candies.
  2. Drop dough by teaspoonful onto cookie sheet. Slightly push a few candies on top of each dough ball with remaining candies.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 9 to 11 minutes, to your liking.






10 comments:

  1. That looks like a super great book for some of my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I had another dot book I read about a year ago that would have been perfect with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh jeez, I wish I had read this post before I made a batch of M&M bars this morning! I would have used your recipe. The book looks fun and so do your cookies! I think it's great that you're reading with K too.
    Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies looks so good. They are perfect to go with that book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies would go well with "Put Me To The Zoo" too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I've seen this book several times and it looks appealing though for some reason we've never checked it out. I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea for a book - I bet my kids would love it! Great snack, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a perfect recipe for this book. I believe we read it, but it didn't stick with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new blog! The book and snack look good too!

    Take care,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stopping by to read your wondeful blog today! :) This book looks great- pinning! and the cookies look yummy. I'm thinking I can do a bingo dabber craft with this, too.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete