Monday, January 9, 2012

Jello Art


We love the illustrations in Here Comes Jack Frost by Kazuno Kohara.  The book is about a young boy who discovers the joy of winter when he receives a magical visit from Jack Frost.



I think this book is the perfect inspiration for wintry art and wondered if we could use oil pastel crayons and Jello to make resist paintings, so we tried it.  I mixed a tablespoon of blue Jello powder with a tablespoon of water.


The kids used white oil pastel crayons to draw wintry scenes and then painted over them with the Jello mixture.


It didn't really work, so we went to plan B.  We have made Jello stickers before and I thought we could combine that technique with some drawing, and use one of the Jello painted papers as a background.

I cut one of the dried Jello painted pages in half and gave one half to each of the kids.  They drew snowmen on the unpainted side and I cut out a tree.  Then, they cut out the snowmen, licked the dried Jello side and stuck them onto the other Jello painted paper.  The dried Jello painting has an icy blue look that is perfect to go along with this book.


Of course, we used the rest of the Jello powder to make our snack!


Linking to:




7 comments:

  1. Yay! You're back! I was all sad like with several days of no posts from you. Great recovery on the picture. This reminds me I need to make more jello stickers. They're so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome that you had a "Plan B" for your project - the end result is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun winter activity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you painted with blue jello...so going to have to try that with Nathan. And thanks for linking to Hey Mom, Look What I Did!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is cool! I just pinned it, so I can come back to it later!

    ReplyDelete