Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Monster Smoothies for Kids

Are you a fan of green smoothies?  We have been adding more and more of them to our weekly menu.  To entice my kids, I call them Monster Smoothies.



Appearance is everything to some kids.  This one looks like chocolate!  I have found that as long as the smoothie is icy cold with frozen ingredients, my kids will try it.  My girls will drink any smoothie I make, my boys - not so much.

I don't actually measure my ingredients, so this is an estimate.
To make this one, I used:
2 - 3 cups almond milk
2 frozen bananas (when they start to get too ripe, I put them in the freezer for smoothies)
2 cups of mixed frozen greens, this time it was spinach and kale (again, if I am not going to use greens before the use by date, I put them in the freezer)
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen blueberries

I play around with the ingredients and vary the amounts depending on what I have on hand.

I blend the almond milk with the greens first to make sure that the greens are completely blended and there are no clumps!  Then I add the frozen fruit and blend, adding more milk as necessary.  I have found that blueberries are perfect for making the smoothies look more appealing to kids.

Why not read a fun monster book with your monster smoothie?


Everyone is familiar with this book, right?  With each turn of the page, a big green monster comes together, BUT keep reading because you get to make that Big Green Monster go away!  With four kids ranging in age from 15 down to 16 months, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book over and over again and look forward to introducing it to my youngest!




3 comments:

  1. I might just have to try that with the kids and sneak in some greens! Hope you are doing well.

    Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love green smoothies - and your monster smoothie name is one I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have to try it out since Anna refuses to eat any green veggies!

    ReplyDelete